Summer is almost here, and we know kids are eager to get outside and enjoy it after a really challenging spring. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our summer day camp will look a little different this year. We wanted to assure you though, that we’ve modified our day camp plans to ensure a safe and fun experience for every child – as always, the safety of our campers and staff is our number one priority. As such, we will operate within the guidelines established by the CDC, American Camp Association, Y-USA and local health departments to ensure that our kids can safely get outside, learn, connect with each other, have a fun summer to remember.
Our YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee Summer Day Camp program will run from June 15th – August 28th. Due to the current circumstances, only Traditional, Adaptive and Leaders in Training will be offered as camp options at the following locations:
- Northside YMCA* – 1350 W. North Ave., Milwaukee
- Rite-Hite Family YMCA* – 9250 N. Green Bay Rd., Brown Deer
- YMCA Camp Minikani*** – 875 Amy Belle Rd., Hubertus
- Deer Creek Intermediate** – 3680 S Kinnickinnic Ave, St Francis
- Northwest Early Childhood Education Center* – 9050 N. Swan Rd., Milwaukee
- Wilson Park* – 1601 W. Howard Ave., Milwaukee*
* Lunch, dinner and a morning snack will be provided at these locations, children who attend other camp locations, are encouraged to bring their own lunch and snack.
**Only open to St. Francis residents and open enrolled students.
***Please click here to view a list of frequently asked questions about summer 2020 day camp at YMCA Camp Minikani.
Establishing and maintaining a safe and healthy camp experience remains our top priority. Here are some of the safety protocols we will institute for camp to keep our kids & staff safe:
- Group Size: Group sizes will be limited and we will respect guidance regarding camp group ratios and maximum campers per site. Camp group, once determined, will remain together throughout camp and separated from other groups.
- Staff Training: Our YMCA day camp staff will go through an extensive 40 hour/week training class focused on proper cleaning and sanitation procedures, protective equipment, prevention strategies and physical distancing.
- Daily Screening: All campers will be temperature-checked, and we will ask parents a set of questions about their recent health each time they drop off at camp.
- Masks/Face Coverings: Masks must be worn at all times in camp, including during outside activities. The only exemptions are when eating, sleeping or if someone has a medical condition, mental health condition, or a disability that prevents wearing them from wearing a face covering .
- Swimming: Children attending day camp at YMCA Camp Minikani will be allowed to swim in the lake, however based on the guidance we’ve received from governing agencies, the pools at our facilities will remain closed and swimming will not be offered at other day camp locations.
- Floor markings and signage: We will mark off safe distances throughout our buildings to help keep children appropriately spaced. Reminders for hand washing and social distancing, will be posted throughout the facility.
- Activities: Activities will be modified to limit physical contact. Equipment will be cleaned between uses and/or sufficient supplies will be provided for all campers to enjoy.
- Field Trips: Following guidance from the CDC, we will NOT offer field trips this summer. We will be incorporating special programming on trip days.
- Reserve Drop Off & Pick Up Times: Parents will be required to reserve a specific drop off & pick up time for their children, each day to limit contact with other families.
- Cleaning: Our whole team will be regularly cleaning to disinfect our facilities throughout the day & our facilities team will perform a deep-clean every night after closing.
If you have questions about YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee Day Camp please contact Chris Przedpelski, Senior Director of Extended Learning at 414-274-0723 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to giving your child the summer they deserve in a safe and engaging environment. Hope to see you at camp!