All members must complete 45-minute orientation prior to using EGYM equipment. Call the Briscoe Family YMCA Wellness Center at 414-224-9622 or the Rite-Hite Family YMCA at 414-354-9622 to sign up for an orientation. You can also ask a staff member in the Wellness Center or at the Welcome Desk for more information .
At the 45-minute orientation, you will receive your personalized identification band and learn how to operate the machines and navigate the system. The machines cannot be used without the band.
Yes! The EGYM equipment is completely free for YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee members to use, once you have completed an orientation.
EGYM is a system of equipment that guides you rep-by-rep through circuit workouts. During your orientation, an EGYM coach will give you your free wristband and walk you through a strength assessment to find your optimal resistance settings. Your coach will also set the machine to your proper range of motion. After this initial time through with a coach you are good to go. Your data will be stored in the system.
Next time you show up, tap your wristband on the marked area and the machines will automatically set the weight level and range of motion for you. The smart equipment will adapt and progress you through a workout with an interactive screen. And all of your workouts are logged in an app without any memorizing or guesswork needed.
EGYM hits all the major muscle groups. There is a variety of equipment included in the circuit:
- Chest Press
- Seated Row
- Ab Crunch
- Back Extension
- Leg Curl
- Leg Extension
- Lat Pull
- Shoulder Press
- Leg Press
- Triceps Press
- Bicep Curl
The interactive video screen on every machine guides you to move at the right pace with the right form. EGYM can help you get a complete workout every time, without worrying about counting reps or keeping a workout journal.
The machines automatically track your workout and send it to your app. To get started on the app, download the YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee app. Once downloaded, you will need to enter the email address associated with your EGYM account and create a password.
EGYM includes eight tailored programs specific to your goals. Tailored programs include:
- Weight Loss | Decrease Body Weight
- Muscle Building | Improve Bone Density & Build Muscle
- Athletic | Increase Power & Decrease Risk of Fall
- General Fitness | Enhance Functional Mobility
- Rehab Fit | Low Intensity Program Designed to Assist with Injury Recovery
- Body Toning | Reduce Body Fat & Increase Muscle Definition
- Metabolic Fit | Focus on Muscle Endurance
- Immunity Boost | Simple & Progressive Re-Entry to Exercise After Time Off
In addition to the eight (8) tailored programs available, there are also four (4) different training methods that may be found within your program. These training methods will alter the feel of the workout by changing the speed, weight load, and number of repetitions. This provides variation in your workout, all while maintaining the same overall focus.
Training methods include:
- Regular | One (1) weight. Classic controlled repetition tempo/speed.
- Negative | Two (2) weights. Easier on the first half of the rep, heavier on the second half (or return of rep).
- Adaptive | Decreases weight mid-set as it senses your muscles getting tired.
- Explonic | Meant for rapid, explosive movements.
EGYM was developed using state-of-the-art exercise science. Different fitness goals require different workouts -- a weightlifter works out differently than someone who has never done strength training. EGYM adapts the equipment settings based on your goal, progress, and body type.
29 Oct, 2021