As a cancer survivor, you understand the tremendous physical and emotional toll the experience has on your sense of health and well-being. The LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program can help you reclaim your health and continue healing.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA 2017 Sessions are now enrolling! Click here to view session dates and times.
What is the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program?
The YMCA partnered with LIVESTRONG® to provide a safe, supportive environment for cancer survivors to continue their healing and achieve their whole-person health goals. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free, 12-week program that meets twice per week for 75 minutes and focuses on physical exercise and social activities in a safe, supportive environment for strengthening your whole sense of self. By participating in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program, you can experience:
- Increased energy and ability to do everyday tasks,
- Improved muscle mass and strength, flexibility, balance and endurance,
- Increased confidence and self-esteem, and
- Connection with and support from other cancer survivors and experienced, supportive coaches at the Y.
Taking it at Your Own Pace
Participants in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program are cancer survivors who are over the age of 18 and:
- Are in or out of active cancer treatment,
- Have a strong personal desire to improve their physical health and participation in daily activities,
- Can commit to participation in the 12-weeks of classes, and
- Obtain and submit a Medical Clearance for Participation form.
We understand that some cancer treatment is ongoing, and individuals who feel strong enough to participate during ongoing treatment are welcome to join with medical clearance.
Expert, Caring Coaches
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA coaches are exercise experts who are trained to work specifically with cancer survivors. They are ready and able to understand your unique physical needs and concerns and help you address them safely. LIVESTRONG® coaches are relationship builders – able to connect with and develop relationships with and among cancer survivors and their families.
The Need for LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
Medical studies have shown that moderate levels of appropriate physical activity and exercise can improve physical strength and endurance, help reduce fatigue, boost mood and energy levels and increase confidence and self-esteem for participating in daily activities. As you know, cancer survivors are increasingly aware of the benefits physical exercise, social activities and stress management can have on quality of life.